Day 20 – Blog Advent Tour

On Christmas Eve, we have dinner. But not just any dinner. Everyone gets to have whatever they want. Whatever they want. Anything at all. My brother had a Big Mac Meal for years. I usually have my mom’s New England clam chowder.

After dinner, we attend a church service, even though our church doesn’t hold Christmas Eve services. We change up the denomination each year, but we tend to favorite the Methodist’s candlelight service. When we get home we open our Christmas pajamas. Then those who choose to change into them.

And finally comes my favorite part. With hot chocolate and Scottish short bread served all around, the literary aspect of the evening begins. First, it’s the Christmas story from Luke Chapter 2. Then my grandma gets out The Polar Express, by Chris Van Allsburg. She reads it to us all as if we were children – even though the youngest among us are in our twenties. She uses different voices for each of the characters. She turns the book around and pans it, so we can all see the pictures. After that it’s off to bed, with visions of sugar plums dancing in our heads.

What do you do on Christmas Eve?

11 Responses to Day 20 – Blog Advent Tour

1. Marg says:

I am usually frantically trying to finish wrapping presents, although I do try to watch the Christmas Carol service that is shown on TV while I do that! I love the idea of Christmas pajamas!

2. Kat says:

I love your Christmas Eve traditions. We also have our regular dinner favourites on Christmas Eve, but no one has ever thought to ask for fast food. And I like the idea of going to a different denomination’s service each year. And hot chocolate and stories… *envious sigh* We open up our pressies after midnight–it’s raucous and not for the faint of heart. Since we have over 20 people in my extended family, it takes a while to get everything sorted out and cleaned up, so we usually collapse into a dreamless coma just before the dawn.

3. Nymeth says:

I love the idea of everyone eating whatever they like best :)

4. Kathy says:

I wish I could hear your grandma reading The Polar Express. She sounds awesome.

5. Care says:

This is beautiful! We almost don’t have any traditions anymore because the family is too far apart to get together on a consistent basis… I love to hear how families celebrate. :)

6. Lisa says:

What lovely traditions, I love that you all eat what you like best.

7. Kailana says:

In my family we watch movies on Christmas Eve. Well, normally. Not this year, though.

8. Louise says:

I love Scottish shortbread. Yummy! I am at my parent’s place right now and have already begun my Christmas vacation which is great. And we have planned dinner for the next many days to come and I am looking forward to it all, specially the roast duck on Christmas Eve ;)

9. Matt says:

Polar Express is a wonderful book. And I love shortbread! My parents didn’t celebrate Christmas when I was a boy, but they did give me present for being a good kid. This year I’m not home for Christmas so I’ll be hosting an orphaned Christmas party with potluck and movies.

10. Pingback: What Christmas Is All About at Semicolon

11. We don’t really have a Christmas Eve tradition – but it sounds like you have some lovely ones. I love The Polar Express movie so would imagine the book would be perfect.

This Christmas Eve I’m laid up after surgery on my toe and hubby has flu – so we’ll be snuggled up in front of movies!