Top Ten Tuesday: Books To Get in the Halloween Spirit

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly bookish list meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

TOP TEN BOOKS TO GET IN THE HALLOWEEN SPIRIT

Fall is in the air. Halloween is but a week away. It’s my favorite time of year. And it is a great time to curl up with an atmospheric and perhaps creepy book. Here are my favorite books to get in the Halloween spirit.

1. Rebecca, by Daphne du Maurier
So very atmospheric.

2. The Night Circus, by Erin Morgenstern
Every word is a delight.

3. The Graveyard Book, by Neil Gaiman
I highly recommend the audio book of this Newbery Medal winner, read by Neil himself.

4. Her Fearful Symmetry, by Audrey Niffenegger
Makes me want to visit Highgate Cemetary.

5. The Thirteenth Tale, by Diane Setterfield
Literary mystery.

6. We Have Always Lived in the Castle, by Shirley Jackson
If you haven’t already, you should also read her short story, “The Lottery.”

7. Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley
Classic for a reason.

8. The Historian, by Elizabeth Kostova
Longish but very good book about the Dracula myth.

9. The Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Spooky and has a library of forgotten books!

10. Anything by Edgar Allen Poe
My favorites of his are “The Cask of Amontillado” and “The Tell-Tale Heart.”

Honorable mentions go to Coraline, by Neil Gaiman; The Woman in White, by Wilkie Collins; and the Harry Potter series, by J.K. Rowling.

What books do you like to read to get in the Halloween spirit?

32 Responses to Top Ten Tuesday: Books To Get in the Halloween Spirit

1. kaye says:

I love me some Edgar Allen Poe this time of year as well. kaye—the road goes ever ever on

2. Melissa says:

The Cask of Amontillado is my favorite Poe story too and it made my top ten list as well!

• Jessica says:

I have loved that story for as long as I can remember. There is just something so intriguing, horrifying, and yet satisfying about it.

3. Cecelia says:

I can’t believe I didn’t put The Graveyard Book on my list! I did mention Coraline, though… hope that counts for something. And I NEED to read The Night Circus – I got it for Christmas last year and left it languishing on the shelf!

Thanks for sharing your list – it’s great!

• Jessica says:

Oh. THE NIGHT CIRCUS. I am in love with it. And I think CORALINE is so spooky! THE GRAVEYARD book is just more atmospheric. But they will both get you in the Halloween spirit!

4. Rory says:

I love Rebecca, it made my list too. And I definitely have to read The Historian (I already bought it) and The Thirteeth Tale. The Haunting of Hill House is another great Shirley Jackson Halloween read.

• Jessica says:

REBECCA just has that atmospheric feel that means fall to me. :) And I’ve always meant to read THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE (I even have a copy). Thanks for stopping by.

5. Rikki says:

Coraline is on my list as well. Totally creepy! Not sure I would have enjoyed it as a kid.

6. Kathleen says:

Great list! I’ve enjoyed a lot of these already, but the rest are ones I definitely want to check out. I’m kicking myself for forgetting Rebecca on my own top ten list. It’s one of my favorites, and the atmosphere is a big reason why.

• Jessica says:

REBECCA is great any time of the year, but the atmosphere lends itself nicely to fall. And I really liked your list, even without REBECCA. :) I love seeing the variety on everyone’s lists.

7. Every October I say I’m going to read The Graveyard Book and I have yet to do it. :/

8. Elena says:

Rebecca is among my favourite readings too, not only for Halloween! I’m also super happy someone out there also knows (and mentions) The Thirteenth Tale, by Diane Setterfield. It is not a literary masterpiece, but it makes a great eerie reading.

9. Christina says:

I definitely agree re: Rebecca, The Graveyard Book and The Thirteenth Tale! I’m also pleased to see that you liked The Night Circus, since that one’s on my shelves waiting to be read.

My list: http://youbookmeallnightlong.wordpress.com/2012/10/23/top-ten-tuesday-books-to-get-into-the-halloween-spirit/

• Jessica says:

Oh yes! I’ve been a little hesitant to discuss THE NIGHT CIRCUS because I loved it oh so much and don’t want to unduly heighten anyone’s expectations, but it is a really interesting book. And so very atmospheric.

10. Angie says:

Mine is SUNSHINE by Robin McKinley. Every. Year. :)

• Jessica says:

I have that on my wishlist due to, I believe, another comment of yours. But I don’t think I realized that it was Halloween-ish.

11. Jenny says:

Very nice list. It’s classy scary. I love it!

12. I’ve enjoyed almost all of these (there are a few I haven’t read). Great choices and very atmospheric indeed!

• Jessica says:

Thanks, Andi! While there is a lot of variety among everyone’s lists, there are a lot of similarities too. I love that about the book blogosphere.

13. This is more like the kind of list I would have created (you know, if I’d participated in TTT). I love some of these choices – Rebecca! Thirteenth Tale! Shirley Jackson (I need to reread – it’s been since HS)!

• Jessica says:

Thanks, Melissa! I need to read a little more Shirley Jackson too. THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE is the next of hers on my list.

14. Suey says:

I had many of these on my list… the one I ended up not posting. :)

• Jessica says:

I know how that goes! I have a number of Top Ten Tuesday posts that are half-drafted and never make it to the light of day. Plus, this week, you’re uber-busy with Markus Zusak week!

15. Cayce says:

Her Fearful Symmetry was… interesting. I didn’t love it as much as I loved The Time Traveler’s Wife, but Highgate Cemetary fascinated me too. I really liked The Thirteenth Tale. :)
    And I just got Rebecca and Frankenstein from the library. Can’t wait to start them!

Thanks for stopping by my TTT!

• Jessica says:

I have mixed feelings about HER FEARFUL SYMMETRY too. It was rather odd, but had a lot going for it too. Ooh. REBECCA is one of my all time favorites. I hope you enjoy it!

16. Amber Stults says:

Those are some excellent recommendations.

I downloaded Neil Gaiman’s Click-Clack the Rattlebag from audible yesterday and it is creepy!

• Jessica says:

I downloaded CLICK-CLACK too, but I haven’t gotten around to listening to it yet. I’m glad to know it’s creepy!