2012 Rereads

by Jessica Anderson on December 26, 2012

in Features, Summations

2012 Rereads

As I’ve started to do my year-end review of books read, I noticed that I reread a lot of books this year. As you’ll see, this is due in large part to the fact that I have been listening to books on audio that I have previously read.

Persuasion, by Jane Austen
When You Reach Me, by Rebecca Stead
The Thief, by Megan Whalen Turner (Audio)
The Queen of Attolia, by Megan Whalen Turner (Audio)
The King of Attolia, by Megan Whalen Turner (Audio)
Charlotte’s Web, by E.B. White
A Conspiracy of Kings, by Megan Whalen Turner (Audio)
The Road, by Cormac McCarthy
The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak (Audio)
The Giver, by Lois Lowry (Audio)
Harriet the Spy, by Louise Fitzhugh (Audio)
Number the Stars, by Lois Lowry
The Graveyard Book, by Neil Gaiman (Audio)
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, by J.K. Rowling (Audio)
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, by J.K. Rowling (Audio)
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, by J.K. Rowling (Audio)

Most of these books were favorites to begin with, and the reread only solidified that status. In the case of The Queen’s Thief Series and The Graveyard Book, the reread made me like them a lot more than I did the first time. It makes me want to do even more rereading in 2013, but it’s a delicate balance between rereading and all of the new (and new-to-me) books I want to read.

Which books did you reread this year?

Kami December 26, 2012 at 2:16 pm

The audiobooks for Harry Potter are fantastic!

Jessica December 26, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Yes they are! I am really enjoying them. They just get longer and longer and longer!

Jenny December 26, 2012 at 5:50 pm

I need to re-read more. I think I only re-read two books this year. :(

Jessica December 27, 2012 at 2:06 pm

That’s usually about where I am at the end of the year. This year, it was the audio books (and book club selections) that forced me to do more rereading than usual.

Jenni Elyse December 26, 2012 at 7:06 pm

I need to do audiobooks more. But, I have a hard time paying attention. I can’t do books I’m not familiar with because of that.

Jessica December 27, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I’m the same way, Jenni. That’s why a lot of my audio book selections are rereads. If they aren’t rereads, I typically try to stay with middle grade or YA books, so I don’t have to pay too much attention.

Laurie C December 28, 2012 at 5:06 am

I read the earlier Megan Whalen Turner books and loved them, but it was so long ago now. Listening to the audiobook versions is a good idea for 2013 because I haven’t read the latest one yet.

Jessica December 28, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I really enjoyed the audio books. And rereading them was nice, because I saw more of the lines connecting all four books. I’ll be interested to hear what you think of A CONSPIRACY OF KINGS.

Emily January 10, 2013 at 6:32 am

I reread quite a few books this year, too, and just loved every minute of it. A lot of them were books I hadn’t read in a long time, so it was fun seeing how much of them I remembered and how the rereading changed (or didn’t) my opinion of the books.

Jessica January 10, 2013 at 10:26 am

That is part of why rereading (especially my favorites) makes me nervous! What if I don’t love it as much as I remember? But then, rereading this year was such a lovely experience, I think I’ll try and do more of it this year too.