Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly bookish list meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
TOP TEN BOOKS I’VE READ SO FAR IN 2013
As you may or may not have noticed, I have been in a rather deep reading slump for some time. Thus, I’ve read only 28 books so far in 2013. However, despite the slim numbers, I have read some really great books so far this year:
1. Arcadia, by Lauren Groff
2. Where’d You Go, Bernadette, by Maria Semple
3. The Song of Achilles, by Madeline Miller
4. The Orphan Master’s Son, by Adam Johnson
These four were all contenders in this year’s Tournament of Books, and they were all excellent. There is quite the range here: Arcadia deals with a hippie commune and a super-disease; Bernadette is a humorous tale of a half-crazy Seattle-ite; Achilles is a retelling of The Iliad, and Orphan Master is a (fictional) peek into North Korea. All of them are worthwhile reads.
5. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot
This was a book club read, and I very much enjoyed it. It’s part science, part human interest, and all compelling. One of the best nonfiction books I’ve read in a very long time.
6. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, by J.K. Rowling (Audio)
7. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, by J.K. Rowling (Audio)
8. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, by J.K. Rowling (Audio)
I know it’s a little cheat-y to have three of my ten be Harry Potter books, but I forgot how genius they are. Seriously, if you haven’t reread these in a while, I highly recommend it.
9. Someday, Someday, Maybe, by Lauren Graham
I’m a big fan of Lauren Graham the actress, and I was very pleasantly surprised that I am a fan of Lauren Graham the writer. This debut is fun and peopled with lovable characters.
10. The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin, by Benjamin Franklin
Okay, so I haven’t technically finished this one, but at 4/5 of the way through, I am in love. This may just end up being the best book I read all year, and I’m okay with that. It’s really really really good.
I’m pleased that even with my small list of books read this year, I was able to pull out so many gems. What are your favorite books so far in 2013?
Categories: Memes & Miscellany