First Quarter 2015 Summation
Here is an abstract of my literary doings during the first quarter of 2015.
Cloud Capers (Magic Puppy 3), by Sue Bentley (Readaloud) – 1/1/2015
Better than Before, by Gretchen Rubin – 1/4/2015
The Rosie Effect, by Graeme Simsion – 1/5/2015
Wild, by Cheryl Strayed – 1/7/2015
Out of the Easy, by Ruta Sepetys – 1/9/2015
George Washington’s Secret Six, by Brian Kilmeade & Don Yaeger (Audio) – 1/13/2015
+ All the Light We Cannot See, by Anthony Doerr – 1/16/2015
Murder on the Orient Express, by Agatha Christie – 1/18/2015
+ The Paying Guests, by Sarah Waters (Audio) – 1/25/2015
+ Station Eleven, by Emily St. John Mandel – 1/26/2015
Star of the Show (Magic Puppy 4), by Sue Bentley (Readaloud) – 1/28/2015
+ Dept. of Speculation, by Jenny Offhill – 1/28/2015
+ Annihilation, by Jeff VanderMeer – 1/30/2015
+ An Untamed State, by Roxane Gay – 2/1/2015
+ Redeployment, by Phil Klay – 2/3/2015
First Frost, by Sarah Addison Allen – 2/8/2015
+ Everything I Never Told You, by Celeste Ng – 2/11/2015
+ All the Birds, Singing, by Evie Wyld (Audio) – 2/13/2015
+ A Brave Man Seven Storeys Tall, by Will Chancellor – 2/18/2015
The Forgotten Sisters, by Shannon Hale – 2/20/2015
Cinder, by Marissa Meyer – 2/24/2015
+ Silence Once Begun, by Jesse Ball – 3/1/2015
Attachments, by Rainbow Rowell – 3/3/2015
+ The Bone Clocks, by David Mitchell – 3/12/2015
Wonder, by R.J. Palacio – 3/13/2015
The Zookeeper’s Wife, by Diane Ackerman – 3/16/2015
Not in the Script, by Amy Finnegan, 3/22/2015
First Quarter Total = 27
Year-to-Date Total = 27
In the last three months, I have read half as many books as I read total in 2014. Whoo! Twelve of these books (marked with a +) were for this year’s Tournament of Books. Three were by Utah authors. Four were ARCs. Five were for book club.
My neighborhood book club read Murder on the Orient Express in January, Cinder in February, and The Zookeeper’s Wife in March. I read them all! I liked them all okay, but I had some issue with each one.
The Third Thursday Book Club read Out of the Easy in January, Persuasion and For Darkness Shows the Stars in February, and Wonder in March. I had read February’s books before, and then I read the other two! We had good discussions about all of them.
I read Redeployment, which won the National Book Award in 2014, but I didn’t get to any Pulitzer, Printz, or Newbery winners. I did post about this year’s Printz, Newbery, and Caldecott winners.
- In Bloggiesta news, I participated in January’s mini-Bloggesta: to-do list, index page mini-challenge; and March’s full-week Bloggiesta: to-do list, style guide mini-challenge.
- In review news, I managed to post a few: California, The Rosie Effect, First Frost, Princess Academy: The Forgotten Sisters, and Better than Before.
- In literary awards news, as mentioned above, I posted about the 2015 ALA Youth Media Awards winners.
- And, of course, I’ve been obsessed with this year’s Tournament of Books. Check out the shortlist and my review roundups of the books I read: Round 1, Round 2.
- Finally, I posted some discussion and link posts: exploring my 2015 goals; on reading multiple books; and the first installment of what I hope is a new link feature, And.
That’s it. That’s what happened in the first quarter of 2015. Thanks to everyone who stopped by!